Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Happiness Tips!



Hey guys! :)
Recently, I've been feeling less than happy, and I can't quite put my finger on why - I think it's a whole host of things contributing towards it. Instead of letting the sadness overwhelm me, this year I’ve been inspired to try and take control of my life, and channel my inner happiness instead of let myself be depressed. Here are a few tricks I’ve learnt of that I will be trying out for myself over the next few weeks –
Focus on the positive. I know that this will probably be the hardest thing for me, personally, as I have a really bad habit of only focusing on the bad, but if you start taking note of three positive things per day, instead of focusing solely on the negatives, in time you will be able to train your mind to focus on the positives instead of the negatives. For example – today, I wrote this blog instead of procrastinating for hours on end, I got tickets to a signing for me and my best friend, and I made my mum a cup of coffee when she got home from work. It’s not amazing, but it’s a start!
Let people know how much they mean to you. Whether you call them, text them, or even write them a good old fashioned letter, it’s nice to let someone know that you’re thinking of them, and it makes you feel happier inside too. Instead of watching tv, why not stop for a second and text your friend or a member of your family telling them you love them, or that you appreciate them? I’m sure it’ll put a smile on your face as well as theirs, especially if it’s unexpected, and will boost your happiness levels.
Do a random act of kindness. This could be anything, from giving money to a homeless person, to lending someone a book, to giving someone a shoulder massage, and not expecting something back in return. Even the smallest act of kindness can lift someone’s mood, as well as yours, and can even have a snowball effect, thus spreading the joy even more!
Try and keep track of your negative thoughts, and try and pinpoint what is triggering them. Once you have discovered this, try and change your habits, so you are not stuck in the same loop and mindset – try taking up a new hobby, such as writing or bowling, or go for a walk with your iPod on – do something that makes you happy.
Watch or listen to something that makes you happy before you work, as it is an instant uplifter and will make the warm happy glow continue while you’re busy. If you feel your mood start to drop, simply take a short break and repeat.
Finally, consider getting a pet. Studies have shown that pet owners are happier, live longer, and have lower stress levels than non pet owners. There’s nothing better than coming home to a dog who’s excited to see you, or sit curled up in a chair with a cat purring happily in your lap.
So, there you have it – some of my steps to being happier! For me, I love nothing more than curling up in a chair with a good book, a cup of tea and my iPod, and just letting the real world pass me by while I immerse myself in the dream world of the book, or I sit on YouTube watching videos for a while. What’s your favourite mood lifter? Is it something I mentioned, or something else completely? Let me know ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment